So ever since I’ve had my 2015 Gibson Les Paul Special Double-cut, the soapbar P90 pickups have always been very noisy. They were making much more noise than the single coil pickups on my Strat. A lot of that noise would go away when I touched the string or bridge which indicates a ground problem. … Read more
After comparing the sound of my Epiphone 335 Pro to a Epiphone Sheraton with a Gibson Classic 57 pickup, I decided the tone on the neck pickup sucked and I needed to make some upgrades. Luckily I had a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover Neck pickup laying around waiting for the next build, so I decided … Read more
All in all, this repair and setup took me about 4 hours to do. Here’s the list of what was done: Fret level, dress, and polish Adjusted truss rod for proper relief Installed and adjusted new Graphtech Tusq XL nut Installed new Wilkinson Tuners Installed new Switchcraft 1/4″ jack Cleaned pots/electronics Adjusted intonation at the … Read more
What a difference 2 hours makes! First thing I did was pull out the last bits of the old nut and take a small needle file to the nut slot to clean things out and level out the bottom. It looks like the nut originally had a flat base so that’s what I’m putting in. … Read more
A friend of mine came to me to see if I could help her fix and improve her husband’s guitar so he could play it again. Apparently he really enjoyed playing this guitar, but some things have broken on it and he hasn’t touched it since. The guitar in question is a Synsonics Pro strat-style … Read more
Since I’m seemingly never satisfied with my guitars and that I feel a deep desire to modify them, I’ve been making some small but substantial updates over the past few days. On my custom walnut guitar, I was getting annoyed at the height of the saddles on my bridge. When playing in certain positions, the … Read more
Here’s my first project working with the Shaper export tool inside of Fusion 360. This is a valet tray about 6 inches long by 4 inches tall. The wood I used is pau ferro (also known as morado, http://www.wood-database.com/pau-ferro/) which is close to a rosewood. The finish I used is a Minwax satin wipe-on poly.